Monday, October 4, 2010

Dipping My Toes Into The Blogging Pool

I read many, many a blog.

Unfortunately for all those wonderful bloggers, I’ve lurked for about a billion years.

Actually, my instinctual tendency in life is to lurk. I’m pretty sure my protozoa in the primordial slime of life’s beginning was that awkward protozoa at parties, hanging out in the corner of the room by the food.

Also, I have the tendency to stare straight ahead of me while off in my own thoughts, which causes people to think I’m staring at them when actually I’m probably contemplating whether eating that fourth waffle was really a good idea.

I’m not even good at small talk. It usually goes something like this:

Me: So, uhhh, do you like music?

Stranger: Yeah, especially classic rock.

Me: Yeah. *silence for the next 3 minutes... stranger finally gives up and walks away.*

Or alternatively:

Stranger: Hey, I love this song! Did you know this band started off as a garage band? Yeah, just a few guys hanging out in their garage.

Me: Errr....uh....pancake!

Stranger: ????

See, my small talk doesn’t even make sense.

So it only came natural for me to lurk on blogs. To love all the wonderful writing and wonderful people out there that I’d otherwise never meet, but never letting them meet me.

Shortly before entering the blogging world myself, I started to delurk. It was part of my decision to stop hiding and put myself out there. And it was great! All of a sudden I was part of the conversation, instead of just listening to it.

I feel like I’m rejoining society. The funny thing is, I didn’t even know I had left.

0 comments: