Friday, November 19, 2010

Rhyme and Reason and Huh?

I love blogging. I love having an outlet to write, knowing that even an incredibly minuscule percentage of the population will listen to and think about what I write.

But sometimes it is hard to write about the bigger issues. Things like...

... the atrocity of the new TSA safety regulation

... the demise of journalism

... how the public touting of motherhood and “mommy blogs” is NOT a step back for the women’s movement

So I end up saying f---it, and I write posts about pie and horses instead.

Writing about the more important issues necessitates careful planning phrasing. I can’t just quickly spew out an opinion without regard to the sensibilities of others. To do so masks and weakens what is otherwise an important point. I’ve done that before, and I’m not proud of it.

Unfortunately, I haven’t the time to indulge in the careful planning that an opinionated post requires, mostly because somehow I’ve ended up busier as a stay-at-home mom than I was when I worked.

Maybe the above posts will become part of this blog. Maybe they won’t.

I guess I just want to reassure myself that this blog is more important than it seems. That it isn’t just a place to revel in my own ridiculousness or a place to vent my pain. That this blog plays a role in the larger social context.

That my opinions have worth.

That I have worth.

By the way, Preschooler thinks shadows are footprints (and I can’t convince her otherwise), and all my chairs are no longer chairs.

0 comments: