Tuesday, September 13, 2011

I Promise This Post Is Not About Hobos*

Preschooler has been a bit obsessed with change lately.  Change, that is, for her piggy bank.

“Mommy, I found a coin! Can I put it in my piggy bank?” she asks.  

I’m a bit surprised she realizes coins mean anything at all.  Husband and I pay with cash once in a blue moon.  I’m not even sure that she’s seen us make an entire purchase, from start to finish, with cash only.

Her entire knowledge of currency, and the economy in general, is based on the fact that Dora and her ilk sometimes collect “coins” to purchase things like ice cream cones.

She’s pretty happy just to let the change accumulate in her piggy bank, as am I.  I’m glad she’s content enough at this small age to not really understand money, nor to feel like she needs it in her life.  All too soon she’ll reach an age where she starts haggling over allowance, to squander it foolishly or save it fiendishly.  

Even I still keep a change jar, squirreling away the (admittedly few) pennies and dimes that come my way.  So in honor of this, and Monday Listicles, here is a list of what I’d change had I enough change to do so:

1) My carpet would be spotlessly clean, because my personal pot-bellied pig would eat up the food scraps that would otherwise be ground into my already trashed carpet. His name would be Sir Geoffrey, The Clean. 

2) I’d buy more books.  Mine are lonely.

3) I’d hire a maid to clean just my bathrooms.  It would be a challenge to them; something to beef up their resume.  I’d be doing them a favor.

4) There would be world peace.  I think I’m obligated to say this.

5) I’d enlist the services of a personal trainer.  I’d actually love this.  The best motivation for me to get my butt to the gym is by feeling like I’d be disappointing someone by not attending.  Disappointing myself doesn’t cut it, mostly because I also love sitting on my butt and eating cookies. Speaking of which, I successfully made chocolate chip cookies yesterday. BEHOLD, MY COOKIE-MAKING PROWESS!!

6) I’d own own elephant. Or a pony.  Same thing, if you think about it.

But that’s it.  I don’t want this wish list to get too extravagant. I refuse to dream the impossible dream.

*     *     *

Thank you, Stasha, for the wonderful writing prompt.  Go here now and read more awesome posts about change.  GO! DO IT NOW!!!


*For an awesome post that IS about hobos, check out this gem by Snappy Surprise. It's extra cheesy.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any time a coin drops in the house, my preschooler asks if she can have it for her bank. Or she'll find a coin on the ground. And she'll take her money and buy toys with it. Works for me.

Angela@BeggingTheAnswer said...

@Joshua - works for me too!

Marianna Annadanna said...

Hey! Why wouldn't you feed all the hobos!? ;)

Angela@BeggingTheAnswer said...

@Marianna - I thought you were taking care of that :)

Stasha said...

I felt bad about not putting on world peace on mine too, but no magic can sort that out right?
I like your change by change list. And your concern for maids and their resumes!

Angela@BeggingTheAnswer said...

@Stasha - I only put world peace on there in order to win the Mrs. America crown.

jacqui said...

I had a pot bellied pig once named Emma. She was pretty fun to have around.

Also, you're always welcome to come steal some books from my house. There are certainly enough of them. (As you can probably imagine as a fellow book hoarder.)

Angela@BeggingTheAnswer said...

@jacqui - I love that you had a pot-bellied pig AND a massive hoard of books. It's like you're my secret twin or something.

Fox in the City said...

Ah, someone to clean my bathrooms . . . I had that once and it was magical. Then I had to go and get all fiscally responsible and admit that we just did not have enough change to have such a magical thing. Sigh.

Angela@BeggingTheAnswer said...

@Fox in the City - darn that fiscal responsibility!

mamamash said...

Cool twist on the theme! I always loved collecting change and being surprised at the amount I had when it was time to turn it in. For some reason, it counts as found money in my head and therefore must be spent on silly things.

Angela@BeggingTheAnswer said...

@mamamash - I totally agree on the whole "found money" thing :)