Thursday, August 4, 2011

You're Still Here?!

One year ago today, I started this blog, and then preceded to tell no one about it for a month or so.  Since most of you probably missed it the first time around, I'm republishing my very first post, wherein I wax neurotic about what the hell I was getting myself into.

*     *     *

Originally posted August 4th, 2010

Risks

Why blog?

I suppose this is a question that should have been resolved before I began blogging. But, as you will eventually realize, I tend to over-think things. Usually I over-think so much that it prevents me from any action whatsoever. And I didn’t want this to be one of those situations where I thought so much about the consequences of doing something that I end up missing out on the experience and never doing it at all.

For example, I really wanted to study abroad while in college. I was an English major, so the United Kingdom seemed to be a perfectly crommulent place to study, and that was my dream. I thought it would make me seem all intellectual and worldly and stuff. Or at least I’d get to hang out with people who had interesting accents, and maybe I could pick up an interesting accent myself. Having grown up in Wisconsin my current accent is a mix between Minnesotan, Chicago, and Yooper. It is not so interesting as it is comical.

Anyhow, I was all set to undertake this adventure when I began thinking. What if the classes were too difficult and I failed all of them? What if I got sick? How would I find a place to live? And food? How would I pay for it? Never mind that thousands of students study abroad in countries all over the world every year, even countries more exotic and primitive than England, and most if not all of the programs are designed to make things as easy for an ignorant American student as possible.

I expressed my worries to my equally-neurotic mother, who was less than thrilled at the prospect of her youngest child leaving the country for a whole year and she heartily agreed that I should not study abroad. Thus, I kept my feet firmly planted on American soil.

I’ve regretted that decision ever since.

I had similar concerns about blogging. What if someone reads it and thinks it’s dumb? What if no one reads it, because it’s dumb? Do I really want to expose my innermost thoughts on the internet where they will last for eternity? After all, if I had done so when I was, say, thirteen, all the world would’ve known that OMG I LOVE TODD SO MUCH HE IS SO HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!EXCLAMATION POINT TO INFINITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn’t want this to be an experience I missed out on. I’ve always loved writing, and I’ve always been too afraid to let anyone read my writing. My writing has always been fairly translucent and to have someone else know EXACTLY what I think left me feeling naked and exposed.

After many years of therapy, I’ve decided to take some more risks in life. This blog is one of those risks.

10 comments:

Fox in the City said...

I find it interesting to learn about why people have started their blog. I am still not even certain I can explain why I did but I just did.

I am glad that you took the risk because you are a wonderful writer.
Jenn

Angela@BeggingTheAnswer said...

@Fox in the City - Thanks :)

Laura said...

The answer to that question has always been simple for me. Attention.

Lindsay Schultz said...

Thank you for writing. I do a happy dance when a new post is up. Well, it's an inside happy dance. You know what I mean.

Janie Jones said...

Glad you took the plunge!!!!!!!!!!!!!EXCLAMATION POINT TO INFINITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Betty Fokker said...

Hmmmm ... I started blogging a year and one week ago. You were totally copying me, weren't you? Confess!! Confess I say!!

Ixy said...

LOL Janie stole my line. Glad you're still here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FabFawk said...

If you fancy doing something, you should totally keep it up until you get bored with it hehe

Marianna Annadanna said...

I'm glad you stuck with it! Make Europe the retirment goal now maybe?

Angela@BeggingTheAnswer said...

@Lindsay - inside happy dances are the best happy dances of all.

@Janie - !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@Betty - you got me ;)

@Ixy - thanks :)

@FabFawk - haven't been bored yet!!

@Marianna - what's this "retirement" you speak of?