Thursday, February 17, 2011

Jane Austin Had Little To Say About Subatomic Particles. Also, Writing Is Hard.

Lately my brain has been as dynamic as a brick electron.*  As a frozen waterfall.  As a corpse at a wake.  That is to say, I’ve got nuthin’.

This has happened before.

For me, writing is like going to the gym.  When you do it every day, you become stronger, toned, more proficient.  Once you stop going, you grow sluggish and unresponsive.  For what it’s worth, I haven’t been at the gym lately either.

It’s been more than writer’s block, although that is playing a part.  Lately I’ve felt compelled to write for the entertainment of others, rather than the entertainment of myself. 

Blogging can be a very egocentric activity.  Unlike a lot of writers, I enjoy reading my own works, mainly because I write about things that are entertaining or insightful to me, without worrying too much about whether others find those things entertaining or insightful as well. 

And when I focus too much on what others find interesting about my writing, I run out of ideas, because I’ve lost sight of what I find to be worthy of writing about.

Another part of this brain freeze is just life.  Toddler is getting her molars, and I spend many a night awake on the couch with a very fussy girl.  I recently realized that when the kids are older and I go back to work, I’ll never feel I made the most of my time as a stay-at-home mom.  Thus, I’ve made a concerted effort to play more with my kids, and find enriching activities for them.  And the piles of dirty dishes and laundry seem to multiply with each passing minute. Long story short, I’ve been busy in addition to uninspired. 

A third issue is current events.  With all the political unrest going on around the world, not to mention my home state, it seems insipid to write about things like sour cream and Cyndi Lauper.  And while part of me would LOVE to hash over these issues, this is not a political blog.

This is not to say I’m taking a break from blogging.  Quite the opposite.  I’ll be posting more often, in effort to prod my lackadaisical brain cells into to their former tone and efficiency.  After all, tomorrow is another day.

*I majored in English literature, not Physics, so this comparison may not be apt.  Jane Austin had little to say about subatomic particles. 

0 comments: